Kearns & West, Inc. is a stakeholder engagement, communications, and collaborative solutions firm that offers expertise and a diverse toolset to help our clients achieve their goals. Our staff is passionate about engaging in public policy issues and complex communications projects.
Kearns & West’s experienced team specializes in organizing a diverse range of stakeholder issues, opinions, goals and interests into constructive, productive processes that lead to successful outcomes.
The Kearns & West approach involves assessment, outreach, process and meeting design, facilitation, dispute resolution, and development of communications tailored to each project’s unique process. Collectively, these tools and techniques build productive stakeholder relationships, integrated approaches, and strategic partnerships with the goal of developing long-term, sustainable solutions.
Kearns & West offers a collaborative, collegial work environment and the chance to work on significant public policy projects. We offer professional development and a partnership track as team members advance in their careers.
Kearns & West seeks to hire an Associate with responsibilities in stakeholder engagement, conflict resolution and project management to support of our collaborative solutions clients.
The Associate will primarily support water, energy, land use, and other similar projects. The Associate will work with clients, community partners and other stakeholders. Most of the projects are based in Northern California, but projects could include work throughout California and across the United States.
Candidates come from a variety of backgrounds, but past work with local, state and/or federal government agencies is particularly applicable.
Key responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Documenting stakeholder engagement and community meetings, including notetaking, report preparation, and database management
- Leading or supporting coordination of meeting logistics
- Communications and outreach support
- Tracking project activities and deadlines
- Preparation of informational materials for stakeholders and the public
- Project research
- Administrative duties
- Digital engagement
- Business development and development of project proposals including budgets
- Project management, contract administration, and invoice preparation
- Proofreading reports and other documents
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Organized and prepared to contribute to our team organization
- Adaptable and flexible
- Ethical, collegial and committed to seeking positive outcomes for clients and stakeholders
- Self-motivated and comfortable working independently, yet successful at balancing working as part of a team
- An effective and reliable communicator
- Comfortable facilitating discussions and making presentations
- Comfortable taking direction and being empowered to take the initiative
- Able to reliably set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and meet project deadlines on multiple projects for multiple clients
- Comfortable working in a small office environment and collaborating virtually with inter-office teams (based in Austin, Charleston, Denver, San Francisco; Portland; Southern California; and Washington, DC).
- Able to travel in California, as needed
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. A master’s degree, other advanced degree, or educational equivalent is a plus, and may be considered in lieu of work experience.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Successful Associate candidates will have 2-7 years of work experience, with a background/interest in community/regional planning, transportation, natural resource management, renewable energy, transmission, environmental/public policy issues, air quality, public involvement, conflict resolution, peacebuilding and mediation.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Kearns & West is committed to maintaining a diverse workplace and is an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
REQUIRED SKILLS: Strong writing, presentation, and teamwork skills. Fluency in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and online meeting tools (Zoom, Teams, etc.).
DESIRED SKILLS: Proficiency with database management, Adobe Creative Suite software, and social media tools. Graphic design. Experience using online collaboration tools (Miro, Mural) and project management software. Fluency in additional languages.
Compensation will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. Kearns & West provides a competitive package of benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.