Kearns & West is a leader in the field of public involvement and stakeholder engagement, facilitation, public affairs, community outreach and strategic planning for the public and private sectors. Founded in 1984, the small, woman-owned business has offices in Washington, DC; Austin, TX; Charleston, SC; Denver, CO; Portland, OR; and throughout California in Sacramento, San Francisco, Davis, San Diego and Riverside. We are a relationship-driven organization – internally and externally.
Kearns & West’s high-stakes projects include work at the federal, state, and local levels of government. We work on a variety of issues including water quality and quantity, marine and coastal resources, land use, energy and more. At their core, our projects are designed to identify and ultimately implement solutions to advance policies and programs essential to solving some of society’s most pressing problems. Kearns & West staff help clients build more equitable and sustainable communities through policy innovation, stakeholder engagement, and collaboration.
Kearns & West is the ideal match for professionals seeking meaningful work, opportunities for growth, and colleagues that are smart, supportive, and oriented toward public service. Once onboard, our team members stay for the long term. The entrepreneurial culture at Kearns & West values employee initiative in both practice innovation and business development.
For more information, please visit www.kearnswest.com.
In association with our eastern offices, the Senior Associate/Associate position involves a wide range of responsibilities and roles include planning, designing, guiding and institutionalizing collaborative dialogue.
Key responsibilities include:
- Participating in internal team calls to coordinate roles, tasks, and share ideas.
- Drafting agendas, facilitation plans, meeting summaries, public comments, emails, and stakeholder outreach and engagement plans.
- Planning and executing stakeholder meetings and workshops including logistics of webinar platforms and functionality, supporting preparation and coordination of presenters, and materials distribution.
- Interacting with diverse stakeholders, including clients, other consultants, federal and state agencies, public officials, non-governmental organizations, and community members.
- Coordinating of stakeholder meetings including preparation of agendas, meeting materials, and confirmation.
- Developing project proposals including budgets, business development.
- Supporting project management including contract administration, financial tracking, and invoice and expense report preparation.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Senior Associate/Associate candidate should have experience in the areas of communications, public policy, or government relations. The position will be associated with our Washington DC and other eastern offices and will primarily support outreach and public engagement for a variety of clients addressing numerous issues including energy, environment, natural resources, and social justice.
A background in policy, psychology, communications, public affairs, technology, and government relations is desirable. An ideal candidate will have experience in working with elected officials, government agencies, campaigns, social media, and an interest in working for public and private sector clients.
Minimum requirements include:
- 3-6+ years of experience in public policy, government relations or related fields;
- Background with current and emerging social media, multimedia, and video platforms;
- Proven ability to manage projects in collaboration with multiple team members, including in-house staff, consultants, clients and outside stakeholders;
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills and demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts into accessible, audience-specific materials;
- Strong organizational skills, detail orientation, and ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects; and,
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment in a highly collaborative manner.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Minimum of bachelor’s degree in environmental or natural resource policy, public or private management, political science, psychology, education, communications, or related fields. An advanced degree or education is a plus but will not change job duties.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Successful candidates will have a minimum of three (3) to six (6) years of experience with a focus on communications, public policy, or government relations. Proficiency with online collaboration tools and emerging social media. Spanish-speaking candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED SKILLS: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel). Proficiency in online collaboration tools is desirable. Proficiency with database management, graphic design, and social media tools are also a plus.
Compensation will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Kearns & West is committed to maintaining a diverse workplace and is an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by emailing a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.