Business Development/Marketing Director
Kearns & West is a national collaborative problem solving, dispute resolution, and strategic communications firm with offices in Sacramento/Davis, Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco, CA, Portland, OR and Washington DC. Considered a leader in the stakeholder engagement and collaborative solutions field, Kearns & West’s collaborative programs are designed to take a diverse range of issues, opinions, goals and interests and organize them into clear, productive processes that lead to successful conclusions. We work extensively – but not exclusively – on public policy decision making, conflict resolution, and citizen engagement across a broad spectrum of issues.
Kearns & West’s mission: Organizations impacting society operate within a complex framework of needs, policies, interests, and markets. Kearns & West navigates this framework to help clients collaborate, communicate vision, and create productive connections with their stakeholders, employees and customers.
Kearns & West’s high-stakes projects include work at local, state, regional, and national levels and cover a variety of sectors including energy, water, marine resources, land use and natural resources, government, business and academia, community and regional planning and technology and Internet.
For more information about the company, please visit: http://36c.cd0.mwp.accessdomain.com/.
Kearns & West seeks a Business Development/Marketing Director to work from our Washington, DC office. We are always open to hearing interest from exceptional people from other locations interested in working with Kearns & West in this other and roles. The role of the Director is to be a firm-wide leader and presence in coaching, leading, identifying opportunities, encouraging strategic Business Development activity, and building appropriate and efficient systems.
Job duties include:
- Developing, implementing, and coordinating internal marketing systems
- Creating, updating, and maintaining marketing materials such as social media, announcements, fact sheets, firm qualifications, project description databases, and more
- Tracking prospects and opportunities, including RFPs in local, state, and federal government and non-governmental organizations
- Proposal management for high-value proposal responses from RFP notification to winning submission (e.g., internal team coordination, compliance matrix development, RFP deconstruction, creating win themes, proposal outlines, partner data calls, content development, budget development, copy editing, preliminary and final review, formatting and design, and production/submission.)
- Proposal support for other opportunities
- Leading prep for interviews and pitches, including developing presentations and coaching interview teams
- Conducting internal debriefs and evaluating lessons learned following high-value pursuits
- Increase the number of opportunities identified and pursued in sector teams and firm-wide
- Track and evaluate results of pursuits and recommend improvements, as needed
- Develop protocols and increase efficiencies in the Go/No-Go and proposal development processes
- Build staff capacity in Business Development firm-wide by coaching and training sector and office teams
- Increase level of marketing activity firm-wide
- Improve profitability through better contracting practices by coaching administrative team and project managers
The ideal candidate will be someone with a proven track record in marketing for Professional Services consulting firms.
In addition, the ideal candidate will be:
- Well-organized and prepared to contribute to the team organization
- Committed to business development and growing Kearns & West’s practice
- Adaptable and flexible
- A strategic and effective communicator
- Able to reliably set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and meet project deadlines
- Able to work and balance multiple projects at one time
- Successful at balancing working as part of a team with working independently
- Comfortable collaborating virtually with inter-office teams
- Pro-active leader
- Systems design and management capabilities
- Strong writing, copy editing, and spreadsheet skills
Lastly, as Kearns & West continues to expand its presence, the selected candidate will be someone who embraces this unique opportunity to help grow and build the Firm.
Education, Certifications and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Advanced degree or education a plus but will not change job duties.
- Successful candidates will have 3-5 years of experience in a marketing role in a firm providing services in aligned markets such as federal government communications and policy development, environmental planning and permitting, urban design and planning, water, energy, transportation and mobility, etc.
- Experience navigating prime contractor and subcontractor relationships and teaming dynamics
- Led or supported numerous successful proposal efforts for federal, state, and local government agency procurement processes.
- Comfort leading and coaching others to be successful in the full-range of Business Development activities, including relationship management, capture management, proposal development and contract negotiation.
The salary for this position is open, and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. In addition, benefits are provided which include: profit-sharing; 401K; bonuses; health, dental and disability insurance; vacation and holidays; and more.
How to Apply
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We ask that you not call K&W staff or send telecopies. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.