Kearns & West is a leader in the collaborative communications field, providing services in public involvement, stakeholder facilitation, community outreach, and mediation, for the public and private sector. Founded in 1984, the small, woman-owned business has offices in Washington DC, Charleston SC, Austin TX, Denver CO, Portland OR, Riverside CA, San Diego CA, Sacramento CA, San Francisco CA, and Los Angeles CA.
Focusing on positive, mutually beneficial results has allowed Kearns & West to maintain long-term relationships with the people and organizations they assist. The firm’s high-stakes projects include work at local, state, and national levels and cover a variety of sectors including energy, resiliency, water, natural resources, marine resources, land use and community planning, transportation, and major public facilities and infrastructure. At the core of all of our projects is finding solutions to advance essential policies and programs.
Kearns & West is the ideal match for professionals seeking meaningful work, opportunities for growth, and colleagues that are smart, capable, and supportive. Once on board, our employees stay for the long term. The entrepreneurial culture at Kearns & West values employee initiatives in practice innovation and business development. Compensation and benefits at Kearns & West are also highly competitive with firms in our field.
Kearns & West seeks an Associate/Senior Associate or Director based in New York State. This position is remote, with options for office space in New York when the public health landscape allows. The candidate will support a range of stakeholder engagement, communications, problem solving, dispute resolution, and public engagement and outreach projects across the firm. The position provides an opportunity to work on projects throughout the East Coast, as well as the possibility of involvement in state-wide and national projects.
The position involves a wide range of responsibilities and roles including:
- Supporting and leading facilitation and stakeholder engagement
- Communications, outreach, and digital engagement
- Public involvement screening and moderation
- Leading or supporting coordination of meeting logistics
- Tracking project activities and deadlines
- Documenting stakeholder engagement and community meetings, including note taking, report preparation, and database management
- Preparation of informational materials for stakeholders and the public
- Project research
- Administrative duties
- Business development and development of project proposals including budgets
- Project management, contract administration, and invoice preparation
- Proofreading reports and other documents
- And more…
Successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree. This position will primarily support energy and resiliency projects, a background/interest in New York, Northeast, and Midwestern renewable energy and resiliency stakeholders is valued. Background/ interest in community/regional planning, natural resource management, transmission, environmental/public policy issues, air quality, public involvement, conflict resolution, transportation, peacebuilding and mediation also valued.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Organized and prepared to contribute to our full team
- Adaptable and flexible
- Self-motivated and comfortable working independently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- An effective and reliable communicator
- Interested in learning facilitation skills and growing to facilitate complex public policy issues
- Comfortable with taking direction yet able to take the initiative as needed
- Able to reliably set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and meet project deadlines
- Able to work and balance multiple projects for multiple clients
- Successful at balancing working as part of a team with working independently
Applicant must demonstrate strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and database management, and proficiency or interest in webinar, website, and data analysis technologies. Graphic design and Adobe Creative Suite skills are desirable, but not required.
Compensation will depend on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
How to Apply
Please apply immediately by submitting cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “New York Associate-Director Opening.” Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Additionally, we are always interested in hearing from potential colleagues at the senior level who would be interested in joining our Kearns & West affiliates team on a contract basis. If you are interested, we encourage you to submit your qualifications and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “DC Affiliate Interest.”