Kearns & West is a leader in the collaborative communications field, providing services in public involvement, stakeholder facilitation, community outreach, and mediation, for the public and private sector. Founded in 1984, the small, woman-owned business has offices in Charleston SC, Denver CO, Sacramento/Davis CA, Los Angeles CA, San Diego CA, and San Francisco, CA, and Portland, OR.
Focusing on positive, mutually beneficial results has allowed Kearns & West to maintain long-term relationships with the people and organizations they assist. The firm’s high-stakes projects include work at local, state, and national levels and cover a variety of sectors including transportation, land use and community planning, major public facilities and infrastructure, natural resources, energy, water, and marine resources. At the core of all our projects is finding solutions to advance essential policies and programs.
Kearns & West is the ideal match for professionals seeking meaningful work, opportunities for growth, and colleagues that are smart, capable, and supportive. Once on board, our employees stay for the long term. The entrepreneurial culture at Kearns & West values employee initiatives in practice innovation and business development. Compensation and benefits at Kearns & West are also highly competitive with firms in our field.
Kearns & West’s mission: Organizations impacting society operate within a complex framework of needs, policies, interests, and markets. Kearns & West navigates this framework to help clients collaborate, communicate vision, and create productive connections with their stakeholders, employees and customers.
We are seeking an experienced Civic Technology and Digital Engagement Associate to join our Washington, DC office. The position will collaborate with staff in offices across the country.
This position is a good fit for those eager to support and improve relationships between local, state, and federal government organizations and their communities. In this role you will navigate among internal agency partners to identify challenges, troubleshoot, and improve process efficiency in using a wide range of technology tools from collaborative mapping initiatives to support community planning, to virtual meetings facilitating public comment, to advising on the development of new digital products and websites to meet client program objectives.
The candidate will expand their experience navigating complex data-driven decision-making processes and assess interests and synthesize data to develop decision-flows and analysis of technology options to consult with program leadership about the best-fit technology solutions.
If you have “fluency in technology” and are able to quickly assess technology challenges, consider individual and team elements, and research and lead project and internal technology deployments, then this is the position for you! Experience across a breadth of collaborative technology platforms is ideal – including webinar tools (e.g., Zoom, MS Teams, WebEx), database and CRM tools (e.g., Insightly, SharePoint, Airtable), website development (e.g., WordPress, SharePoint, HTML); visualization and graphic design (the Adobe Creative Suite, Miro, word clouds, etc.) and more!
The Civic Technology Associate will be responsible for:
- User research and user centered design including interviews and focus group planning and execution,
- Event technology design and support and troubleshooting,
- Webinar management and technical facilitation,
- Requirements gathering and data synthesis,
- Digital engagement research and support,
- Social media and digital communications support,
- Team onboarding and technology adoption support for growing collaborative technology toolkit, technical writing, and support documentation creation (developing user guides, leading technology trainings.)
- 4+ years of experience
- Demonstrated interest in technology deployment and adoption, collaborative processes and team support, facilitation and stakeholder / customer / user engagement strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in conflict resolution, environmental issues, natural resource management, and/or energy is beneficial.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Ability to be flexible and resourceful and handle pressure/tight deadlines gracefully
- Ability to interact and perform in a team-based environment
- Ability to accessibly communicate technical matter, including written communications (user guides), 1-on-1 user troubleshooting support across all levels of technology acumen, and technology trainings
- Capacity to rapidly distill core strengths and constraints of technological platforms
- Strong writing skills
- Strong knowledge of the Microsoft suite – Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, and PowerPoint
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite – Acrobat, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver
- Strong knowledge of webinar and synchronous technology platforms –Zoom, WebEx, MS Teams
- Knowledge of GIS platforms and deployment requirements
- Knowledge of charts, graphs, and visuals / graphic design a plus
- Knowledge or interest in graphic design including document layouts, charts, graphs, infographics
- Experience or interest in social media
Compensation will depend on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
Kearns & West is committed to maintaining a diverse workplace and is an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
HOW TO APPLY
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Washington DC Civic Technology Associate.” We ask that you do not call or email staff directly. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Additionally, we are always interested in hearing from potential colleagues at the senior level who would be interested in joining our Kearns & West affiliates team on a contract basis. If you are interested, we encourage you to submit your qualifications and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Job 16_Washington, DC Affiliate Interest.”