Kearns & West is a leader in the collaboration and communications field, providing services in strategic communications, public affairs, public involvement, stakeholder facilitation, and community outreach for the public and private sectors. Founded in 1984, the small, woman-owned business has offices in Austin, TX; Charleston, SC; Denver, CO; Costa Mesa, Davis, Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, CA; Washington, D.C.; and Portland, OR.
The firm has a mission of working together to make a positive impact on society in an environment of opportunity, diversity, and respect. Focusing on positive, mutually beneficial results has allowed Kearns & West to maintain long-term relationships with the people and organizations it assists. The firm’s high-stakes projects include work at local, state, and national levels and cover a variety of sectors including transportation, land use, and community planning, major public facilities and infrastructure, natural resources, energy, water, and marine resources. At the core of all our projects is finding solutions to advance essential policies and programs.
Kearns & West is the ideal match for professionals seeking meaningful work, opportunities for growth, and colleagues that are smart, capable, and supportive. Once on board, we hope team members will stay for the long term. The entrepreneurial culture at Kearns & West values team initiatives in practice innovation and business development. Additionally, the firm has a partnership track and a commitment to professional development. Compensation and benefits at Kearns & West are also highly competitive with firms in our field.
For more information, please visit www.kearnswest.com.
Based out of Sacramento, the Director/Senior Director position involves a wide range of responsibilities and roles including strategic communications, media relations, community outreach, event management, and crisis media management. The position involves a heavy emphasis on working on complex transportation, equity, and infrastructure issues in Northern California.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing strategic communications plans, earned media strategies and social media plans.
- Crafting and creating communications (press releases, talking points, articles, fact sheets, etc.) and multimedia (social media, videos, websites, etc.) content and materials.
- Coordinating of stakeholder meetings including preparation of agendas, meeting materials, and confirmation.
- Drafting of agendas, facilitation plans, meeting summaries, public comments, emails, and stakeholder outreach and engagement plans.
- Planning and executing stakeholder meetings and workshops including logistics of webinar platforms and functionality, supporting preparation and coordination of presenters, and materials distribution.
- Interacting with diverse stakeholders, including clients, other consultants, federal and state agencies, public officials, non-governmental organizations, and community members.
- Participating in internal team calls to coordinate roles, tasks, and share ideas.
- Developing project proposals including budgets, business development.
- Supporting project management including contract administration, financial tracking, and invoice and expense report preparation.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Director/Senior Director focused in the field of Strategic Communications will be based in Sacramento and will primarily support communications, outreach, and public engagement for a variety of clients in numerous sectors ranging from infrastructure and transportation, water, marine, and community and regional planning.
A background in strategic communications and media relations along with infrastructure and transportation is desirable. An ideal candidate will have experience in working with elected officials, government agencies, social media, and an interest in working for public and private sector clients. An understanding of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)/National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) and how infrastructure and transportation projects are developed under these guidelines.
The ideal candidate has:
- Experience in communications and government relations.
- Background with current and emerging social media, multimedia, and video platforms.
- Proven ability to manage projects in collaboration with multiple team members, including in-house staff, consultants, clients and outside stakeholders.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills and demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts into accessible, audience-specific materials.
- Strong organizational skills, detail orientation, and ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment in an emotionally intelligent and collaborative manner.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Minimum of bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, political science, public policy, or related field. Advanced degree or education is a plus but will not change job duties.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Successful candidates will have a minimum of seven (7) years of experience with a focus on media relations, communications, transportation/infrastructure, community relations, public policy, and/or conflict management and resolution. Spanish-speaking candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED SKILLS: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel). Proficiency in online collaboration tools is desirable. Proficiency with database management, graphic design, and social media tools is also a plus.
Compensation will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Kearns & West is committed to maintaining a diverse workplace and is an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by emailing a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.