Business Development/Marketing Director
Kearns & West is a national collaborative problem solving, dispute
resolution, and strategic communications firm with offices in Sacramento/Davis,
Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco, CA, Portland, OR and Washington DC.
Considered a leader in the stakeholder engagement and collaborative solutions
field, Kearns & West’s collaborative programs are designed to take a
diverse range of issues, opinions, goals and interests and organize them into
clear, productive processes that lead to successful conclusions. We work extensively
– but not exclusively – on public policy decision making, conflict resolution,
and citizen engagement across a broad spectrum of issues.
Kearns & West’s mission: Organizations impacting society operate within a
complex framework of needs, policies, interests, and markets. Kearns & West
navigates this framework to help clients collaborate, communicate vision, and
create productive connections with their stakeholders, employees and customers.
Kearns & West’s high-stakes projects include work at local,
state, regional, and national levels and cover a variety of sectors including
energy, water, marine resources, land use and natural resources, government,
business and academia, community and regional planning and technology and
For more information about the company, please visit: http://www.kearnswest.com/.
Kearns & West seeks a Business Development/Marketing Director to work from our Washington, DC office. We are always open to hearing interest from exceptional people from other locations interested in working with Kearns & West in this other and roles. The role of the Director is to be a firm-wide leader and presence in coaching, leading, identifying opportunities, encouraging strategic Business Development activity, and building appropriate and efficient systems.
Job duties include:
- Developing, implementing, and
coordinating internal marketing systems
- Creating, updating, and maintaining
marketing materials such as social media, announcements, fact sheets, firm
qualifications, project description databases, and more
- Tracking prospects and opportunities, including
RFPs in local, state, and federal government and non-governmental organizations
- Proposal management for high-value
proposal responses from RFP notification to winning submission (e.g., internal
team coordination, compliance matrix development, RFP deconstruction, creating
win themes, proposal outlines, partner data calls, content development, budget
development, copy editing, preliminary and final review, formatting and design,
- Proposal support for other
- Leading prep for interviews and
pitches, including developing presentations and coaching interview teams
- Conducting internal debriefs and
evaluating lessons learned following high-value pursuits
- Increase the number of opportunities identified
and pursued in sector teams and firm-wide
- Track and evaluate results of pursuits and
recommend improvements, as needed
- Develop protocols and increase efficiencies in
the Go/No-Go and proposal development processes
- Build staff capacity in Business Development
firm-wide by coaching and training sector and office teams
- Increase level of marketing activity firm-wide
- Improve profitability through better contracting
practices by coaching administrative team and project managers
The ideal candidate will
be someone with a proven track record in marketing for Professional Services
addition, the ideal candidate will be:
- Well-organized and prepared to
contribute to the team organization
- Committed to business development and
growing Kearns & West’s practice
- Adaptable and flexible
- A strategic and effective communicator
- Able to reliably set priorities,
manage multiple tasks, and meet project deadlines
- Able to work and balance multiple
projects at one time
- Successful at balancing working as
part of a team with working independently
- Comfortable collaborating virtually
with inter-office teams
- Pro-active leader
- Systems design and management capabilities
- Strong writing, copy editing, and
Lastly, as Kearns & West continues to expand its presence, the
selected candidate will be someone who embraces this unique opportunity to help
grow and build the Firm.
Education, Certifications and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Advanced degree or education a plus but will not change job duties.
- Successful candidates will have 3-5 years of experience in a marketing role in a firm providing services in aligned markets such as federal government communications and policy development, environmental planning and permitting, urban design and planning, water, energy, transportation and mobility, etc.
- Experience navigating prime contractor and subcontractor relationships and teaming dynamics
- Led or supported numerous successful proposal efforts for federal, state, and local government agency procurement processes.
- Comfort leading and coaching others to be successful in the full-range of Business Development activities, including relationship management, capture management, proposal development and contract negotiation.
The salary for this position is
open, and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the
selected candidate. In addition, benefits are provided which include:
profit-sharing; 401K; bonuses; health, dental and disability insurance;
vacation and holidays; and more.
How to Apply
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We ask that you not call K&W staff or send telecopies. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.