Kearns & West is a leader in the collaborative communications field, providing services in public involvement, stakeholder facilitation, community outreach, and mediation, for the public and private sector. Founded in 1984, the small, woman-owned business has offices in Portland, Riverside, San Diego, Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC.
Focusing on positive, mutually beneficial results has allowed Kearns & West to maintain long-term relationships with the people and organizations they assist. The firm’s high-stakes projects include work at local, state, and national levels and cover a variety of sectors including land use and community planning, transportation, major public facilities and infrastructure, natural resources, energy, water, and marine resources. At the core of all of our projects is finding solutions to advance essential policies and programs.
Kearns & West is the ideal match for professionals seeking meaningful work, opportunities for growth, and colleagues that are smart, capable and supportive. Once on board, our employees stay for the long term. The entrepreneurial culture at Kearns & West values employee initiatives in practice innovation and business development. Compensation and benefits at Kearns & West are also highly competitive with firms in our field.
Kearns & West seeks an Office Manager/Project Coordinator in the Portland, Oregon office. The candidate will support a range of stakeholder engagement, communications, problem solving, dispute resolution, and public engagement and outreach projects across the firm. The position provides an opportunity to work on projects throughout the Pacific Northwest as well as the possibility of involvement in state-wide and national projects.
The position involves a wide range of responsibilities and roles including:
• Leading or supporting coordination of meeting logistics
• Attending meetings with stakeholders and providing logistics and note taking support
• Developing meeting summaries and reports
• Communications and outreach support
• Preparation of informational materials for stakeholders and the public
• Project research
• Proofreading reports and other documents
• Database management
• Business development support including assistance with coordinating, tracking, and writing project proposals
• Tracking project activities and deadlines
• General staff support and maintaining office operations
• Administrative duties
• Overall office management tasks
• Managing staffing schedules
• Coordinating invoicing and expenses
• And more…
Successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and a background/interest in community/regional planning, transportation, natural resource management, renewable energy, environmental/public policy issues, air quality, public involvement, conflict resolution, peacebuilding and mediation. One to three years of work experience is preferred. Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable but not required.
We are looking for someone who is:
• Organized and detail-oriented
• Prepared to contribute to our full team
• Adaptable and flexible
• Self-motivated and comfortable working independently
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• An effective and reliable communicator
• Interested in learning facilitation skills and growing to facilitate complex public policy issues
• Comfortable with taking direction yet able to take the initiative as needed
• Able to reliably set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and meet project deadlines
• Able to work and balance multiple projects for multiple clients
• Successful at balancing working as part of a team with working independently
Applicant must demonstrate strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and database management. Graphic design and InDesign skills are desirable, but not required.
Compensation will depend on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply immediately by submitting cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Portland Project Coordinator Opening.” Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Additionally, we are always interested in hearing from potential colleagues at the senior level who would be interested in joining our Kearns & West affiliates team on a contract basis. If you are interested, we encourage you to submit your qualifications and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Portland Affiliate Interest.”