Kearns & West is a leader in the collaborative communications field, providing services in public involvement, stakeholder facilitation, community outreach, and mediation, for the public and private sector. Founded in 1984, the small, woman-owned business has offices in Austin, Charleston, Denver, Sacramento, Portland, San Francisco, Washington, DC and Southern California.
Focusing on positive, mutually beneficial results has allowed Kearns & West to maintain long-term relationships with the people and organizations they assist. The firm’s high-stakes projects include work at local, state, and national levels and cover a variety of sectors including transportation, land use, and community planning, major public facilities and infrastructure, natural resources, energy, water, and marine resources. At the core of all our projects is finding solutions to advance essential policies and programs.
Kearns & West is the ideal match for professionals seeking meaningful work, opportunities for growth, and colleagues that are smart, capable, and supportive. Once on board, our employees stay for the long term. The entrepreneurial culture at Kearns & West values employee initiatives in the practice of innovation and business development. Compensation and benefits at Kearns & West are also highly competitive with firms in our field. Kearns & West team members work together to make an impact in an environment or opportunity, diversity, and respect. The firm offers a partnership track for qualified and interested professionals, a clear career progression pathway, and regular opportunities for professional development.
Kearns & West seeks a Project Coordinator to support the Sacramento, California Office. The entry-level position will provide project management support for an important regionwide transportation project along with administrative assistance for the Sacramento Office Team. The ideal candidate will be able to work collaboratively and solo to problem solve, set timelines and objectives, help establish guidelines and strategies to optimize project and team output.
The position involves a wide range of responsibilities and roles including:
• Leading or supporting coordination of meeting logistics
• Coordinating and communicating project information across several teams and entities
• Scheduling and facilitating client and project calls and meetings, and develop meeting summaries and reports
• Attending meetings with stakeholders or project managers; providing logistics and note-taking support
• Programming and conducting virtual meetings with interactive functions (e.g., Zoom)
• Communications and outreach support
• Preparation of informational materials for stakeholders and the public
• Supporting project teams to track scope, budget and schedule project
• Project research
• Digital platform coordination
• Database management
• Business development support including assistance with coordinating, tracking, and writing project proposals
• Tracking project activities and deadlines
• General staff support and maintaining office operations
• Managing staffing schedules
• Coordinating invoicing and expenses
• And more…
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and a background/interest in transportation, community/regional planning, natural resource management, renewable energy, environmental/public policy issues, air quality, public involvement, conflict resolution, peacebuilding, and mediation. One to three years of work experience is preferred. Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable but not required.
We are looking for someone who is:
• Organized and detail-oriented
• Prepared to contribute to our full team
• Adaptable and flexible
• Self-motivated and comfortable working independently
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• An effective and reliable communicator and writer
• Interested in learning facilitation skills and growing to facilitate complex public policy issues
• Interested in transportation, equity, and environmental justice
• Comfortable with taking direction yet able to take the initiative as needed
• Able to reliably set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines
• Able to work and balance multiple projects for multiple clients
• Successful at balancing working as part of a team with working independently
The applicant must demonstrate strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and database management. Graphic design and InDesign skills are desirable, but not required.
Compensation will depend on the qualifications and experience of the selected Candidate.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Kearns & West is committed to maintaining a diverse workplace and is an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a resume and cover letter, including your preferred working location by APPLYING HERE. We ask that you not call K&W staff. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.