Kearns & West is a leader in the collaborative communications field, providing services in strategic communications, public affairs, public involvement, stakeholder facilitation, and community outreach for the public and private sectors. Founded in 1984, the small, woman-owned business has offices in Sacramento, San Francisco, Davis, San Diego, Riverside, CA; Washington, D.C.; and Portland, OR.
Kearns & West’s high-stakes projects include work at local, state, and national levels and cover a variety of sectors including transportation, land use and community planning, major public facilities and infrastructure, natural resources, energy, water, and marine resources. At the core of all our projects is finding solutions to advance policies and programs essential to solving some of society’s most pressing problems. Kearns & West helps clients build more equitable and sustainable communities through policy innovation, stakeholder engagement, and collaboration.
Kearns & West is the ideal match for professionals seeking meaningful work, opportunities for growth, and colleagues that are smart, supportive, and oriented toward public service. Once on board, our team members stay for the long term. The entrepreneurial culture at Kearns & West values employee initiatives in practice innovation and business development.
For more information, please visit: www.kearnswest.com.
Based in Northern California, the Project Coordinator position involves a wide range of responsibilities and roles including strategic communications, media relations and crisis management, community outreach and events management, and policy and public affairs.
A typical day-to-day might include:
- Tracking strategic communications plans, earned media strategies, and social media plans.
- Coordination of communications (press releases, talking points, articles, fact sheets, etc.) and multimedia (social media, videos, websites, etc.) content and materials development.
- Coordinating of stakeholder meetings including preparation of agendas, meeting materials, and confirmation.
- Drafting agendas, facilitation plans, meeting summaries, public comments, and emails.
- Planning stakeholder meetings and workshops including logistics of webinar platforms and functionality, supporting preparation and coordination of presenters, and materials distribution.
- Interacting with diverse stakeholders, including clients, other consultants, federal and state agencies, public officials, non-governmental organizations, and community members.
- Participating in internal team calls to coordinate roles, tasks, and share ideas.
- Developing project proposals including budgets, business development.
- Supporting project management including contract administration, financial tracking, and invoice and expense report preparation.
- Managing staff schedules and maintaining office operations.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Project Coordinator focused on the fields of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs will be based in Northern California and will support clients in sectors ranging from transportation, technology, water, marine and community and regional planning.
A background in communications, public affairs, technology, and government relations is desirable. An ideal candidate will have experience in working with elected officials, government agencies, campaigns, social media and an interest in working for public-and private-sector clients.
The ideal candidate has:
- 2+ years of experience in communications, public policy, or government relations.
- Background with current and emerging social media, multimedia, and video platforms.
- A proven ability to manage projects in collaboration with multiple team members, including in-house staff, consultants, clients and outside stakeholders.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills and demonstrated capacity to translate complex concepts into accessible, audience-specific materials.
- Strong organizational skills, detail orientation, and ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Drive to work in a fast-paced environment in an emotionally intelligent and collaborative manner.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Minimum of bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, political science, public policy, or related field. Advanced degree or education a plus but will not change job duties.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Successful candidates will have a minimum of two (2) years of experience with a focus on communications, public policy, or government relations. Proficiency with online collaboration tools and emerging social media. Spanish-speaking candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED SKILLS: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel). Proficiency in online collaboration tools is desirable. Proficiency with database management, graphic design, and social media tools also a plus.
Compensation will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Kearns & West is committed to maintaining a diverse workplace and is an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by emailing a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.