Kearns & West seeks to hire an Associate or Senior Associate with responsibilities in project management, public outreach, stakeholder engagement, facilitation and communications, planning/logistics and business development in support of our work. A key focus is on supporting our equitable and inclusive engagement practice, which participates in a growing portfolio of projects.
The Associate/Senior Associate will work with the project team to carry out communications, public outreach and stakeholder engagement. The Associate/Senior Associate will work with stakeholders representing local communities, as well as representatives from local, state and federal agencies, tribes, advocacy organizations, business industries and local interests. The Associate/Senior Associate would also be supporting strategic meetings with clients to implement outreach and engagement plans. Most of the projects are based in Northern California and are centered in the San Francisco Bay Area, but projects could include work throughout California and across the United States.
Given our expanding portfolio of projects, a candidate’s interest and experience in community planning, transportation, air quality, energy and climate is highly desirable. Candidates come from a variety of backgrounds, but past work with local, state and/or federal government agencies on planning, collaborative problem-solving, communications, community development, public policy, and/or dispute resolution projects is preferred.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Interaction with diverse stakeholders, including clients, community members, and others on a range of sensitive issues and topics
- Support team and project management
- Facilitation of stakeholder discussions, group meetings, and events
- Graphic communication (e.g., presentations, videos, brochures, websites)
- Coordinating and participating in community outreach events, including in-language events and meetings with a wide diversity of audiences
- Planning and executing stakeholder and public meetings or other forums (including logistics)
- Research and writing of survey summaries, meeting summaries, public comments, and outreach plans for many types of audiences (including environmental justice communities, multilingual communities, business groups, elected officials, etc.)
- Implementing engagement plans, including maintaining detailed calendars, schedules, and task lists
- Development of strategic plans
- Development of project proposals including budgets, business development, contract administration, and invoice and expense report preparation.
- Client interface on certain aspects of the outreach and engagement planning.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Organized and prepared to contribute to the collaborative culture of our organization
- Adaptable and flexible
- Comfortable working with community partners and stakeholder organizations
- Self-motivated and comfortable working independently, yet successful at balancing working as part of a team
- An effective and reliable communicator
- Comfortable facilitating discussions and making presentations
- Comfortable taking direction and empowered to take the initiative
- Comfortable with client interface
- Able to reliably set priorities, manage and meet project deadlines on multiple projects for multiple clients, in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfortable working in a small 20-person office environment and collaborating virtually with inter-office teams (based in Sacramento; Portland; Southern California; Washington, DC; and Atlanta).
- Able to travel in Northern California, as needed
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Master degree, other advanced degree, or educational equivalent is a plus, and may be considered in lieu of work experience.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Successful Associate or Senior Associate candidates will have 3-7 years of work experience, with a background in equity and environmental justice issues as they pertain to various environmental policy sectors (e.g., water, air, climate, biodiversity), land-use, transportation, urban planning, conflict management and resolution, public stakeholder engagement and strategic communications, local and regional government, public policy, and/or community relations. Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable.
REQUIRED SKILLS: Strong writing, presentation, and teamwork skills. Fluency in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
DESIRED SKILLS: Experience with online collaboration tools. Proficiency with database management, Adobe Creative Suite software, and social media tools. Graphic design.
Compensation will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. Kearns & West provides a competitive package of benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.