Permanent Position Seattle, Washington
Hybrid: On-Location and Remote
Kearns & West is a collaboration and strategic communications firm founded in 1984. Our high-stakes projects include work at the local, regional, and national levels, covering the essential sectors of energy, water, marine resources, land use and natural resources, community and regional planning, transportation, technology, and equity and inclusion. Kearns & West has staff around the country with offices in Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; Denver, CO; Costa Mesa, Davis, Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, CA; Austin, TX; Charleston, SC; and Washington, D.C.
Based out of the Seattle area, the Director/Senior Director position is a skilled and self-motivated professional with experience in impartial facilitation of multi-party processes and project management who is comfortable working with technical content related to water, hydropower, and natural resource issues primarily in Washington and the Pacific Northwest, with opportunities for national work too. Prior employment might include work in the fields of dispute resolution, public policy, or communications. Prior experience with facilitation in a different sector will also be considered. Interest in collaborative problem-solving and process planning/coordination is essential.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and implement processes and strategies that engage stakeholders to collaborate on public policy issues.
- Plan and facilitate stakeholder discussions, group meetings, workshops and events, and internal working groups and teams, both in-person and using virtual collaborative technologies.
- Interface with clients on project planning.
- Participate in internal team calls to coordinate roles, tasks and collaborate on ideas.
- Support team and project management.
- Develop project proposals including budgets, business development, contract administration, and invoice and expense report preparation.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Desirable qualities for our ideal candidate include:
- Deep understanding of and experience facilitating processes involving complex and contentious natural resources and/or planning issues.
- Ability to effectively build partnerships and relationships with clients and stakeholders.
- Proven ability to manage projects in collaboration with multiple team members, including in-house staff, other consultants, and clients.
- Self-motivated and comfortable working independently, yet successful at balancing working as part of a team.
- Experience working with diverse communities, stakeholders, and Tribes.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills and demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts into accessible, audience-specific materials.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Strong emotional intelligence and comfort working with groups in conflict.
- Able to reliably set priorities, manage and meet project deadlines on multiple projects for multiple clients, in a fast-paced environment.
Able to travel within Washington and the Pacific Northwest, as needed. Occasional travel into Canada may be required.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. A master’s degree or higher in a relevant field of expertise is preferred.
Preferred Experience: Successful Director/Senior Director candidates will have minimum of seven years of relevant work experience in relevant fields which could include public and stakeholder engagement, facilitation, community outreach, conflict management and resolution, strategic process planning/coordination, and/or public policy. Applicant must demonstrate strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Salary Range: $80k-$150k
Kearns & West provides a competitive package of benefits which include profit-sharing; 401K; bonuses; health, dental and disability insurance; vacation and holidays; and more.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION Kearns & West is committed to maintaining a diverse workplace and is an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
HOW TO APPLY
How to Apply: Please apply for the “Director/Senior Director” job Apply Here